As mums, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed and feel like we can’t do everything in our to-do list. Clothes need to be washed, bathrooms need to be cleaned, and children need to be fed and taken care of.
Then on top of that there are often life admin tasks, church activities and social events that require our attention.
In my own life, I go through times when I feel I have too much on my plate. When this happens, it’s usually when I have a plan of everything I’m going to do for a particular week, and then something unexpected comes up, which means I have to make room in my timetable for more. But when I go through times like this, I find that reading certain verses in the Bible really helps me to let go of my anxiety, as I put my faith in God.
5 Bible Verses For The Overwhelmed Momma
So what verses help me personally? I will share them below.
1. Cast your anxieties on Him
Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you. 1 Peter 5:6-7
2. Run and not be weary
3. Come to me, all of you who are weary
Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28
4. Do not be anxious about anything
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. – Philippians 4:6-7
5. I call to you when my heart is faint
From the end of the earth I call to you when my heart is faint. Lead me to the rock that is higher than I. – Psalm 61:2
How to Turn to God When You’re Overwhelmed
Ok, so how do we actually turn to God in our moments of overwhelm? I’m going to give you five quick tips.
1. Write down key passages, like the ones above, on cards or sticky notes and stick them to the fridge, bathroom mirror, or even a door on a day when you have a few moments to spare. Then on days when you’re overwhelmed, you’ll be able to access these verses quickly, and read them out loud.
2. In your moments of overwhelm, take a deep breath and pray. Pray for strength, pray that God would remind you of truth that will refresh you, and pray for peace. Leave your anxieties at the foot of the cross.
3. Stop what you’re doing – this is hard because you’re in overdrive mode, but it’s really important – sit down, close your eyes, and meditate on key Bible passages. I suggest you memorize the Bible verses I shared with you above, and then in your moments of stress, you’ll be able to speak or think them out.
4. Listen to worship music with lyrics that worship God, rather than focusing on self. Sometimes we feel tempted to listen to music that tells us about us, how we’re victorious, etc. But the real reason we have victory is because of Christ in us, and so it’s not really us. When we focus on God, who He is and His power, holiness and love, we can truly rest.
5. Switch off from your phone/social media, and turn to your Bible and specially the psalms. Read a couple of psalms out loud, or even pray them to God.
That’s it! Check out the Unique Mums Resources for a printable with Bible Verses for Mothers.
If this blog post blessed you, please share it with a friend or save it on Pinterest for later.