Today I’m sharing a recipe which I like to call the”cheat” dauphinoise potato dish. If you’re unfamiliar with the recipe, basically dauphinoise potatoes is a delicious, but fat-heavy dish as the original recipe is made with cream, and cheese.
My version is a lot lighter as it contains no cheese and no cream (just yoghurt) and thus it’s perfect for a light side dish, or if you’re avoiding heavy dairy, but you can tolerate yoghurt.
Not only that, but my version does not require the potatoes to be cooked before they’re placed in the oven, which means you can make this dish in just 5 minutes.
Plus, my kids absolutely loved this, which is great when you’re a mum. 🙂
So here goes:
Cheat Dauphinoise Potatoes
Ingredients (4 to 5 people)
600 grams of potatoes
300 grams of plain yoghurt
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp oregano
Salt (to taste)
1 tbsp vinaigrette (1/4 vinegar to 3/4 olive-oil)
– Pre-heat the oven to 160 ºC / 320 º fan (conventional 175º / 348º)
– Wash the potatoes, pat them dry and slice them to about 1 cm thick. Add a light pinch of salt.
– Prepare the yoghurt dressing on the side by mixing the plain yoghurt with another pinch of salt, the garlic, and the oregano in a jug.
– Place the yoghurt dressing in a rectangular oven-safe dish and then add the potatoes and coat them with the dressing.
– Finally, pour over the vinaigrette, and cook in the oven for about 30 minutes.
Et voilà! Enjoy with pan-fried chicken or some roast pork (since you’re using the oven anyway) or even some roast fish (this is what we had it with the other day!).
If you liked this recipe, please share it with a friend or pin it for later. 🙂