This Bible Study Guide is based on the book: Impact: Gospel Hope For Every Woman. (You can read it for free on Kindle Unlimited. Available on Amazon worldwide.)
Individual / Group – Spend some time in prayer asking God to bless this Bible study time asking Him to reveal His love and His gospel and lead you into all truth.
What is worldly control? What is Biblical control?
Individual – Brainstorm and write your answers in a journal.
Group – Brainstorm as a group.
Individual – Look through the questions below, spend some time reflecting, and note down your answers.
Group – Go through the questions one by one, read the passages out loud, and discuss the answers as a group. Write answers individually.
- Read Anna’s story at the beginning of the chapter “From Control to Surrender” in Impact: Gospel Hope For Every Woman. What was Anna’s reaction to her lack of control over her husband?
- Can you relate to this situation in your marriage or another close relationship? Can you think of a similar experience that happened to you or someone you know?
- Read Judges 16:1-16. How does Delilah react when Samson doesn’t do what she wants and doesn’t tell her the truth about his strength?
- Now read Judges 16:16-21. Why did Samson finally give in? What happened to Samson after letting himself be controlled by Delilah? (verses 20, 21)
- Read Judges 14:1-17. Who else manipulated Samson into telling her something to help the Philistines, and how did she do it? (Verse 16) In what way was this a consequence of Samson’s own actions? (verses 1-3)
- What would have happened if Samson hadn’t let himself be controlled by people, but had been self-controlled in following God’s will?
Questions for Reflection
Individual / Group – Note down your answers in a journal.
- Do you ever feel tempted to control others in subtle ways (for instance, by using charm, silent treatment, or reason) to get the outcomes you desire? Think of concrete examples.
- Which areas of your life have you been attempting to control independently of God?
- Do you ever experience stress in the present (for instance, stress regarding current work projects; stress about situations in the lives of your children) or anxiety about the future (for instance, anxiety about future events involving other people; anxiety about hypothetical circumstances in the future) because you feel out of control?
- How can knowing God release you from independent control and from attempting to control others? Reflect on key truths about God that can help you surrender to Him.
- How can knowing God help you grow in faithful stewardship and self-control? Reflect on key truths about God that you need in order to grow in these areas.
Individual – Look through your answers to the Questions for Reflection. Is there anyone you need to seek for accountability?
Group – Look through your answers to the Questions for Reflection. Discuss in pairs. Share in the group.
Individual / Group
Read the next chapter in the book Impact: Gospel Hope For Every Woman – “From Guilt to Repentance”. Then do the next unit in this study guide (Unit 9 – linked below).
Did this unit bless you? Share it with others! 🙂
Do you have any questions or suggestions for improvement? I’d love to help you and I’m open to feedback. Comment below or send me an email to: theuniquemums at gmail dot com