This Bible Study Guide is based on the book: Impact: Gospel Hope For Every Woman. (You can read it for free on Kindle Unlimited. Available on Amazon worldwide.)
Individual / Group – Spend some time in prayer asking God to bless this Bible study time asking Him to reveal His love and His gospel and lead you into all truth.
What are common objects of envy?
Individual – Brainstorm and write your answers in a journal.
Group- Brainstorm objects of envy as a group.
Read the questions below and then listen to Melissa Kruger’s interview about her book The Envy of Eve (Listen from minute 6.00 to 21.55). Answer the questions in your journal as you listen, and listen again if necessary.
Read the questions below and then listen to Melissa Kruger’s interview about her book The Envy of Eve (Listen from minute 6.00 to minute 21.55). Answer the questions in your journal as you listen. Discuss as a group.
- What was the instruction given to the people of Israel? What was Achan’s reply?
- What’s the pattern that Melissa mentions? Where can that same pattern be found?
- Why does Melissa say comparison is more of a problem nowadays?
- What examples does Melissa give for comparisons and envy?
- What illustration does Melissa mention with the kids?
- What does Melissa say happens to us when we’re fixed on what we don’t have?
- What does she say is the root of covetousness / envy?
- How does this relate to what Anna mentions as the root problem of envy: idolatry – the search for joy, worth, and validation in things other than God?
- What other Bible characters mentioned in this video dealt with envy?
- What does coveting do to us?
Questions for Reflection
Individual / Group – Note down your answers in a journal.
- In what particular areas do you struggle with envy? (For instance, possessions; physical appearance; ministry; gifting; experiences.)
- What truth about God can you meditate on when you feel tempted to be envious of others? Note down Bible verses that evidence this truth.
- How can loving God help you rejoice when other Christian women accomplish things for the Kingdom?
- How can you take more responsibility for the gifts God has given to you to steward? (For instance, at church, in the workplace, or at home.)
- How can you grow in loving others instead of being envious of them? What truths do you need to apply? Write a list of several truths about God and ourselves as human beings, as explored in this chapter.
Individual – Look through your answers to the Questions for Reflection. Is there anyone you need to seek for accountability?
Group – Look through your answers to the Questions for Reflection. Discuss in pairs. Share in the group.
- Read the next chapter in the book Impact: Gospel Hope For Every Woman – “From Control to Surrender”. Then do the next unit in this study guide (Unit 8 – linked below).
Did this unit bless you? Share it with others. 🙂
Do you have any questions or suggestions for improvement? I’d love to help you and I’m open to feedback. Comment below or send me an email to: theuniquemums at gmail dot com